Tuesday 15 October 2013

Nobody Gets Ma Secret Sauce!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

A top solicitor from Fasken Martineau LLP (identity protected) came into class last week to speak to us about buying and selling businesses.  He has a unique practice which includes start-ups, hostile meetings between companies, and commercial real estate.  Little to say, I was in solicitor heaven!  I may or may not have been that huge dork in the class staring at him, wide-eyed, trying to absorb as much knowledge as I could in the short one-hour period.

He spoke about the importance of confidentiality clauses when negotiating a sale and made it very clear (more than..twice) that, "Nobody wants to give away their secret sauce" and that your client will say to you, "I want you to tie them up, but I want to be able to walk."

Secret sauce and tieing up... say whaaaat?!?

This guy is wild!

All jokes aside...his intelligence, air of confidence and stories about his many multi-million dollar deals put stars in all of our eyes and he soon became my idol.  I caught myself daydreaming about being the new lead on an episode of Suites and quickly came back to reality when our prof chimed in, "This is all examinable so pay attention!"

Damnit! For a brief moment I forgot about those darn exams!

PLTC in a nutshell...

Assessment, study, assessment, study, assessment, study, assessment, study, exam, study, exam.

Thanksgiving weekend was consumed with writing our opinion letter assessment... So. Much. FUN!  I think we were all lucky enough to get turkey dinner though and one (or one too many) drink(s).  The opinion letters were sent in this morning (by most of us) and please cross your fingers for us, especially since I was 600 words over.  We all know I have LOTS to say! I justify it by saying that I was being "thorough"... :)

This week is all about family law.  This is how I feel when the prof starts talking about the status quo (something I have been challenging since birth).



GET ME OUTTA HERE!

I am actually being melodramatic (shocker..) because I find family law very interesting.  There are so many juicy issues in family law! In particular, where the parties are in business together or have blended families - its like a soap opra.

PLTC also has its own drama. Imagine getting 120, 20-30 year olds together for a 10-week period of time in Vancouver. That spells trouble.

More to come about the love triangles, personality conflicts, and individual strategies happening at PLTC after the weekend, when hopefully there will be a few of us getting together to "study".

Have a great "short" week!

Love, Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment