Thursday 3 October 2013

NEVER GIVE UP!

I think its official. My prof hates me.  My inquisitive mind and need for clarification has gone against me and may be my downfall at PLTC.

This week has been dedicated to contract drafting skills and a mock one-day trial on Friday. Firstly, during the drafting lecture, the professor gave us explicit instructions for the wording and clauses that need to be included in our contract assignment.  These were slightly (aka A LOT) different than the contracts I have drafted and viewed at my own firm and so I politely asked the professor about this discrepancy.  After him stating, "well the old partners at the firms don't like to change but this is the way things should be done" and "you have to recite these clauses word for word if you want to pass the assignment", I was bloody well pissed off.  In my mind, I see PLTC as a course that should teach practical skills that the students can take back to their firms and apply in order to become successful lawyers.  It DOES NOT and SHOULD NOT be a course that teaches its students what IT thinks is THE WAY to do things, when the rest of the world does not conform to these ideologies.  If I thought that I was going to be taking a course that would provide me with skills and knowledge that would be harmful to my place in the firm I call "home", and bite me in the ass later on, then I would never have signed up!

I may, or may not, have indicated my unimpressed attitude after his reply. Probably not an excellent move for the class rep...

Secondly, we are all scheduled to conduct a summary trial tomorrow based on a memo, pleadings, exhibits, affidavits, text book readings, and two (YES TWO!!) cases.  We are NOT allowed to bring in any outside law or even general knowledge and must use the facts and law provided in our "joint book of authorities".

How realistic is that?  I read the facts and the two cases and they are not complete nor do they provide enough support to adequately advocate my client's position.  In real life, I would be able to search high and low for the best possible solution and legal support for my client's case and have the means to ask questions of my client and witnesses in order to get all of the necessary facts and evidence.

I feel deflated, unmotivated, and frustrated today as I prepare for this one-day summary trial.  Maybe I am not cut out for this after-all.

I am sure that I will get my spunk and fire back tomorrow but for now, it seems that PLTC has got the better of me.  As long as I win the war right? PLTC can have this battle...

For everyone who had their summary trial today, Good Work! I hope I survive tomorrow. Fake it 'til you make it right??


A friend introduced me to this video once and I think its appropriate here (although his voice is uber annoying, it is slightly hilarious and motivating?)


NEVER GIVE UUUUUUPPP!!

Love, Me.


No comments:

Post a Comment